The Goddess of Oil statue was commissioned by Tulsa's oil barons in 1941. The statue was intended to be 40 feet tall, carry aloft an eternal flame, and be placed in front of Tulsa's new International Exposition Building, then the largest free span structure on earth. Marjorie Morrow Anderson was the model. WWII put the project on hold, and it was then forgotten about. The Golden Driller now stands in its place.