The Philtower was built in 1928 as a high-rise office building. The architectural style was neo-gothic revival and art deco, designed by Edward Buehler Delk, and constructed by architects Keene & Simpson. At the time, it was the tallest building in Oklahoma with 24 floors. The unusual, gothic-style tile roof of the building earned the Philtower the nickname of “Queen of the Tulsa Skyline” during the oil boom years of the 1920s.
Renowned oilman and philanthropist Waite Phillips occupied the 21st floor, which has been preserved.
In 1941, Phillips deeded the building and his Philmont Ranch to the Boy Scouts of America. In 1977, the organization sold the building to local investors.
Floors 12-20 were converted to loft apartments in 2004, marking the Philtower the first mix-use high-rise in Tulsa.
The Philtower was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and was included in the Oil Capital Historic District in 2010.